Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Baked Chipotle Turnip Fries
A Healthy Alternative To French Fried Potatoes
Vegan And Gluten Free

Spicy chipotle turnip fries - fewer calories than potatoes.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.
Preview my eBook, Health Begins in the Kitchen.

Turnips - an Alternative to the Potato
I have to confess, my guilty pleasure is french fries. I don't order them or cook them but if I'm in a restaurant and someone at the table orders french fries, at some time during the meal I will grab one, dip it in some ketchup and pop it in my mouth. I may not even ask permission.

I adore turnips. I throw them in soups, mash them, and now I've discovered that when baked in the oven with a tiny bit of olive oil and seasonings, they are a healthy and delicious substitute for french fries. And at a little over 100 calories a serving, why resist?

The best part is that turnips are about 1/3 the calories and carbs as potatoes. One half cup of turnips has only 18.2 calories, 4.2 g of carbs and zero fat. Potatoes, also fat free, have 57.7 calories and 13.8 g of carbs in a one half cup serving.

But most of all I love the taste of turnips. If they haven't been part of your regular diet, give them a try. Not ready to dive in completely? Use half potatoes and half turnips the next time you make mashed potatoes. It will lighten up the calories and carbs and be just as delicious!

      *                      *                       *                         *

Baked Chipotle Turnip Fries
Vegan, Gluten and Dairy Free
[makes 2 servings]

1 pound turnips
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon chili powder*
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder*
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

* For less spice, omit the chipotle chili powder and use 1/2 teaspoon regular chili powder. For more spice, omit the regular chili powder and use 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel the turnips and cut them into the shape of french fries, about 1/2 inch by 3 to 4 inches thick. Place them in a bowl. 




Add the oil and spices and toss the turnips until they are evenly coated. Lay them out on a non stick baking sheet. I prefer a shallow baking pan with a Silpat baking sheet




Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping half way through, until nicely brown and crisp. Serve immediately.

Per serving: 104 calories, 5 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 128 mg omega-3 and 508 mg omega-6 fatty acids, 2.5 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber and 448 mg sodium.



1 comment:

Debra said...

These look fabulous!! I am going to try them:)